Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Night at the Opera at The Library of Congress

On my afternoon walk in the very quiet halls of August in the Library, I passed by a new exhibition that is opening this week and runs through January. It replaces the Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine showcase in the Performing Arts Reading Room in the Madison Building. I saw their daughter, Dena, doing a photo op as I was walking by at that time. This presentation celebrates Verdi and Wagner, and all things opera. I must confess I don't know much about it, but can say I've seen operas in New York way back in high school, more recently telecast outdoors by the Washington Monument, and a few here and there in between on public television. But I have to say that Looney Tunes and Bugs Bunny and friends really introduced me to the subject matter. I like music of all genres, and like even better the fact that all I have to do is take a short walk to see these fine displays of history, music, art - and just about anything else. I couldn't say that about any other place I worked. 








No comments:

Post a Comment