Monday, September 7, 2015

It's A Gift - Dr. Harriet A. Fields and W.C. Fields - An Interesting LinkedIn Connection

As we usually do, my husband and I watch and DVR Turner Classic Movies. A couple days ago, we recorded some W.C. Fields movies - It's a Gift, David Copperfield, and You Can't Cheat an Honest Man. I used to watch W.C. Fields as a child, and my parents loved him at the movies growing up. At the beginning of the movie, there was a special intro by his granddaughter Dr. Harriet A. Fields. She seemed like a really nice person, and we googled her to find out more about her. We watched It's A Gift and loved it. The next day I sent a LinkedIn invitation to Dr. Fields. I didn't think much more about it. Within a couple of hours she accepted the invitation to connect and I sent her a message saying we had a few things in common...nursing, old movies, and I work at the Library of Congress - where a lot, if not all, of W.C. Fields movies are preserved. She sent back a wonderful note about her grandfather, W.C. Fields, a link to her marvelous life and work, and said she would be speaking at the LOC's W.C. Fields Tribute on November 13 and 14 in Culpeper at the Library of Congress Packard Campus. What a treat to virtually "meet" someone who has a famous ancestor, but has also contributed so much to the nursing profession around the world. I've heard about the six degrees of separation. This is a very interesting one! We may need to take that trip to Culpeper in November to make a real live connection!








No comments:

Post a Comment