Thursday, July 27, 2017

Sibley Hospital Carotid Ultrasound

Since I had an unusual visual field test last November, I had to have a repeat visit to the eye doctor in six months. Aside from that, I also had two episodes of hemianopsia - a loss of vision - a couple of months ago. I have had those episodes before, starting forty years ago, but have not had one for quite some time. So it raised some concern with my ophthalmologist last week, who ordered a carotid ultrasound to check for possible stenosis. Neither my husband nor I (a physician and a nurse) were overly concerned, but scheduled the appointment at Sibley Hospital this week. We like to go there because it is an easy campus to navigate compared to the huge medical centers, and I have a medical record there. The hospital recently went through a massive renovation, and was shiny and new. But the test was in the old imaging department on the lower level in the old building. The test itself is harmless compared to a lot of the more invasive tests and surgeries I have had over the years. I don't know what the results are yet, and should be able to find them in the electronic record. The whole experience sort of makes you think about life in general. It's a good reminder to be thankful for what you have, because things can change in a flash in such unexpected ways.




No comments:

Post a Comment