Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Virginia Drivers License, Vehicle Registration and Plates

It looks like it’s going to take a few times to get this right. We moved to Virginia from DC this month and needed to change our drivers license and license plates. I guess you have thirty days to get it done. So we went last week to the DMV in Tyson’s to find out what paperwork we needed to bring. I hadn’t had a chance to look it up online. Nevermind that we just renewed both of our drivers licenses to Real IDs in DC within the last few months. Unfortunately all of the mail coming to our new address has my name on it, so my husband was out of luck when the post office change of address letter only had the last name on it. After waiting in line, we were told he didn’t have enough proof of Virginia residence - the deed for the new property wasn’t enough. So we decided that I should go ahead and get my license exchanged, and get the car registered along with license plates. The whole thing took three hours and the place was packed. I can’t believe I’m going to say that the experience was much worse at this station in Virginia than it was on Capitol Hill. The sad thing is we have to come back - again - for my husband’s license! We also need to get emission testing and register the car for stickers. What a racket this all is. So it was great sadness when we removed our DC plates that we’ve had for thirteen years and replaced them with Virginia. I suppose it’s just another phase. I’m sure I’ll get over it soon. 












No comments:

Post a Comment