Sunday, August 22, 2021

Bill Freehan - Six Degrees of Separation

If you talk to someone long enough you might find that you are connected somehow. That has happened a few times to me over the years. When Bill Freehan’s name came up the other day, it sounded very familiar. A lot of baseball player’s names in the 60’s-70’s sound familiar because my brother was drafted by the Orioles from high school as a left handed pitcher. We watched more baseball games than most. We also have many photos of my brother as a youngster getting autographs from many players at spring training camp in Florida. I saw a notice on Instagram from our old high school that referred to Bill Freehan - sending condolences to his and the O’Brien family. Then I figured it out when I read the obituary. 1- Bill Freehan went to Bishop Barry high school. 2 - He married Pat O’Brien. 3 - Pat is Danny and Michael O’Brien’s sister - they both attended Bishop Barry high school. 4. Michael was my brother’s classmate; Danny played baseball with my brother on the high school team. Danny pitched fir the Cardinals. 5. Michael is my brother. So, there are five degrees of separation between me and Bill Freehan. When I look at Bill Freehan’s photo it reminds me of a different time and place. I felt a bit nostalgic and teary eyed. Time keeps passing by so very quickly and every day we are somehow reminded. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment