Wednesday, November 16, 2022

In Search of Vegetable Flakes

I found an old recipe of my mom’s. I wrote it down as she was telling me the ingredients over fifty years ago and put it in my meager recipe collection. I don’t remember the last time I made the Polish chicken soup - Rosol - but it just felt like the right thing to do now. One of the ingredients is vegetable flakes. They are no where to be found. I wanted to stay true to the original recipe so I went in an internet search for them. I could get it on Amazon but I was making the soup today. Our usual trip to the grocery store was fruitless, but I was at least able to find some soup bones. I looked up every grocery store near us and no one had them except Harris Teeter. So after my husband got his haircut and we took our morning walk, we drove over to Harris Teeter and I kept my fingers crossed. We couldn’t find the flakes in the spice aisle and I asked three people. Finally we ended up back in the produce section looking for tiny cut up vegetables - celery, carrots and onions. So rather than have dried flakes we will use the real thing, aside from the parsley flakes. While we were there we also found my favorite Jenny-O turkey breast - with a five dollar discount - and potato spinach pierogi! So in the end we got what we needed and more. So it was worth the trip to Harris Teeter. They have things that we can’t get at Giant. We hadn’t been there since the pandemic. Maybe we will need to visit every once in awhile. Now I need to start making the soup! 














No comments:

Post a Comment