Monday, August 10, 2020

Eva Dry Renewable Mini Dehumidifier

Humidity is not my friend. Obviously not a lot of people like it since it can cause a lot of problems. I suppose if you like the rainforest and all things associated with it, it serves a purpose. But I don’t care for a rainforest in the house. Our 1890’s Capitol Hill condo was susceptible to humidity given the old building itself, the non insulated windows, and humid Washington weather. We have Aprilair on the unit specific HVAC system in our new northern Virginia condo, but it is off during the summer. But it still feels a bit humid in the house. And it was proven to be the case. I got a hydrometer and it seems the humidity in the house ranges from 55-66 - way over the comfort zone of 30-55. It gets lower when the inside temperature is lower. So I searched for small dehumidifiers. The bathroom tends to fog up and the grout doesn’t dry as it should. We don’t really have a place for a large unit anywhere in the house, so I got two EvaDry renewable mini dehumidifiers. The unit uses micro silica gel that supposedly absorbs the moisture and the color of the beads turns from gold to green when it reaches capacity. Then you plug it in to remove the moisture and use it again. I set both units out and I don’t think they have done anything - the humidity levels have remained the same. The small dehumidifier is intended for enclosed small spaces. So I may just put one in our closet. Even though the reviews of this product were positive, I can’t say the same thing. So I searched around for another small option. I’m pretty disappointed that the HVAC system doesn’t handle the air better. I’ll need to ask the contractor the next time he comes to do the routine maintenance what might be the best solution. Keeping the temperature below 77 during the day may be nice, but hardly the best approach. What’s your experience? 














No comments:

Post a Comment