Sunday, April 30, 2023

The Feathered Friend Visitors

We have a very small balcony. On the balcony we have two seats - one is single and the other is a two seater. Because we can’t hang planters on the guard rails, we thought we would hang the coco lined window baskets on the backs of the seats using zip ties. It actually works out well. During three seasons the seats face each other and the flowers are displayed toward the outside. And in the winter, we arrange the seats together to face out so that the baskets face towards us - filled with Christmas greens and sticks. When the weather starts getting warmer we fill the baskets with annuals. This year the pansies, violas, and ivy all survived the rather harsh winter. So we got six new annuals to spruce up the boxes. We have had the boxes at least three years now. This year I was waiting to see how long it would take for the crows to start pulling at the coco liner. And wouldn’t you know it didn’t take very long. I could see them swooping in out of the corner of my eye. My husband thinks it’s funny. I don’t. They also make a mess throwing around dirt. And wouldn’t you know this year a mockingbird decided to do the same thing. Then I caught a pigeon - or two - hanging around. I have had a few staring contests with the crows. It’s sort of uncomfortable. For the most part they seem to leave the flowers alone, but they have squashed a few sitting in the baskets while they tug on the coco liners. I have always enjoyed watching birds in the back yard bird baths and feeders. Last year we had gold finches. I just don’t like the birds tearing things up, but I suppose it’s for a good cause. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment