Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Library of Congress Gift Shop Items - a Futuristic Display?

During my afternoon stroll along the Madison Building corridors It is not unusual to come across new displays and events. I saw Danny Kaye's daughter by his exhibit, have run in to the Librarian of Congress, and seen lines waiting for annual flu shots. In the lobby are bunches of hydrangeas for the spring and Easter season and chrysanthemums in winter at Christmastime. There was a new display being erected last week. When I went to check it out, it was a display of items that are available in the gift shop. I was expecting something a little different, but it's probably not a bad idea since the gift shop is located in the Jefferson Building across the street. The one item that caught my attention was the birdhouse made with a book roof.  I know it is probably odd and unpopular to say, but I'm just not in to hard cover or paperback books anymore. My 90 year old mother buys her books and downloads them on her iPad. Our household has only a few books in the house - everything else is digital. We left a house full if books in Milwaukee when we moved. I'm glad we did. I suppose it is appropriate that they really do belong in display cases - because it just seems so old fashioned to me. 








No comments:

Post a Comment