Wednesday, August 23, 2023

The Eyedrops Start

At the end of last month it was determined that I probably need cataract surgery. I didn’t think it would be so quick - but in December the eye doctor said they were getting bigger. And since it’s better to tackle this sooner than later we decided to have surgery scheduled this week for the left eye and then two weeks later for the right eye. My husband went through this in Feb/March 2020 - right before the pandemic. So I am familiar with the routine - all of the pre op and post op appointments, the day surgery, the eye patch - and the dreaded eye drops. So starting yesterday the routine began that calls for a drop to the left eye three times a day for two weeks, then two times a day for one week, and one time a day for one week. Then the same schedule applies for the right eye in the middle of the other schedule. That is why the office provides you with a chart to keep it all straight. I do remember my husband saying that the drops burned a bit. I don’t seem to have that problem but I do have a metallic taste every so often, which is another side effect. The drops are a special order combination of prednisone and other ingredients to help reduce and/or prevent inflammation, infection, and pain. Of course I can’t take drops that hit your eye from above. I need to look in the mirror and pull the eye down and instill in the under eye. So this will be the schedule for the next month. I am not looking forward to the surgery, but I am looking forward to seeing better than I have since I was sixteen. I just want to get it over with! 










No comments:

Post a Comment