Sunday, April 23, 2023

Four Year Anniversary

It just dawned on me that we have been living in our new home for four years this month. We lived in the Midwest for thirty years, then we moved to Capitol Hill for thirteen years, and now we live in northern Virginia. Capitol Hill was great when I worked at the Library of Congress and our family lived just down the street. But when I retired, and our family moved to central Virginia, the hassles of the city were getting old. The sad thing about living here is that it’s the pandemic house. We only lived here ten months when my mom died, and then the Covid plague struck - and we were stuck in here for the next three years. We never got to do what I thought we were going to do. It’s still not as cozy as I would like. We always made our homes more to our liking. This is the first place we haven’t for a variety of reasons, and I don’t think that’s ever going to change. We thought 1000 square feet would be plenty given as how we basically lived in 500 square feet before - but it’s not configured like I would like it to be. But we haven’t traveled like we thought either. I really miss our Midwest home with the dog and the comfortable place we created, with friends and colleagues nearby. But the winters were brutal. I really can’t and shouldn’t complain about where we live now, but I wouldn’t call it my dream home. I suppose there are issues wherever you live. I need to focus on all of the positive reasons we came here. Our family is just three hours away, my brother and SIL still live in DC and we are finally starting to get together again after a long hiatus, and we drive in to town almost every week for a change of scenery. Everything we need is close by and most within walking distance. I think we just need to resume living life like we did before. Hopefully we will plan a visit to the Midwest soon. It will be nice to see all of those familiar faces. 






No comments:

Post a Comment