Friday, April 28, 2023

The Whiskey Sour

When we visited our family in central Virginia last month we were treated to a different sort of drink. It was a whiskey sour and it tasted quite good. Neither my husband nor I drink much of anything anymore. Luckily both of us have a composition that doesn’t tolerate liquor. We used to drink a tiny bit of red wine every evening but gave that up during the pandemic. And we don’t miss it. Alcohol wasn’t a big thing in our house growing up either. My dad liked an occasional beer and I remember he liked a high ball once in a while. The alcohol bottles were stored in the shelf above the refrigerator. So we asked our son for the whiskey sour recipe, and he was happy to oblige and suggested the best brand of whiskey. They don’t sell it in Virginia. In fact, you can’t buy any liquor in the grocery store - you need to go to a liquor store. So we drove in to Palisades yesterday to MacArthur Beverages Wine and Spirits. They didn’t have the Buffalo Trace Bourbon, so we got Maker’s Mark instead. Then we got Collins sugar water, and a shaker - the last one they had. Then we drove to Giant in our neighborhood to pick up some lemons and also picked up the last yellow and green citrus squeezer. So before dinner we got our ingredients together. My husband made one drink and I made the other. I never thought I would ever see a shaker in our house! In the end it was a fun project and a fun thing to do. I think the drink probably tastes much better in the heat of summer, but any day is good! I don’t think it will become a habit, but we are prepared for the next time. 












No comments:

Post a Comment