Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Myrtles Are In Bloom!

It's that time of year again. One can't help but notice the beautiful myrtles all over town. They must be a southern tree flower, as I don't remember them in Wisconsin. But every year at this time I can't help but pay attention to the white, red, pink, purple, and various shades in between of myrtles in front of government buildings and all around the neighborhood. Some are tiny and just starting out, while others are clumped together in huge bunches. Others are evenly spread in front of a very long white structures. When we walked this morning we passed by the Library of Congress, the Senate Office Buildings, parks, and neighborhood homes big and small. The tress really look magnificent against the traditional Capitol Hill architecture. We once visited the Myrtles "haunted" plantation in Louisiana a long time ago. It gave me the creeps. So there remains some mystery behind the name - for me anyway! Nevertheless, with or without the ghosts the myrtles looked lovely on a day like today. I'm not sure how I would feel if we took this same walk at 3 AM. But who would?




















No comments:

Post a Comment