Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Making Room at the National Building Museum

One of the reasons we walked to the National Building Museum was to see the exhibit “Making Room - Housing for a Changing America.” The demographics of the country are different than when a typical single home family was at its’ height. So the adaptability of a traditional home is the latest trend. We moved from a two story 2500 square foot home to a 500 square foot condo, eventually getting another 450 square foot apartment across the hallway. You could say we have tried to encompass some of the ideas that make for a simpler, more efficient, and multifunctional lifestyle. We live on one floor, have a Murphy bed in our studio apartment, and we use every inch of house. We alderman have two distinct living big spaces that could serve a variety of needs - especially when we have visitors. They get their own apartment! But I wish I had gone with my gut when we remodeled our bathroom last year. I really wanted a lipless shower, but we couldn’t figure it out - until we saw the display yesterday. The folding shower doors with squeegee bottom was exactly what I wanted. For anyone building a home today these ideas are really interesting. It is actually quite easy to live in 1000 square feet. I’m all about efficiency and versatility. If I had to start from scratch I would definitely incorporate many of these great ideas. 
























No comments:

Post a Comment