Tuesday, May 17, 2022

52Frames Architecture

It’s about the only place that still requires timed passes. So I ordered some up for my husband and myself so we could meet the photo challenge this week. Since the theme was architecture, the only possible option was to visit the Library of Congress Jefferson Building that opened in 1888. It’s supposed to be the most beautiful building in Washington DC. I should know and do agree since I worked there for ten years. My office was in the Madison Building, but I spent a lot of time in the Jefferson building for programs, meetings, and for afternoon walks on my way over to the Capitol Visitor Center. I still have a piece of the brick that was removed at the groundbreaking for the new tunnel connection from there to the Capitol under First Street. There was a long line to get in even with the timed passes. And of course you have to pass security as I had to do every morning for work. It’s been over two years since we have been inside and it is as lovely as ever. After I retired a few years back we still came in for programs but the in person programming hasn’t resumed yet. So we spent the morning trying to get some decent images of the exquisite interior. In the end the main reading room was selected over the long corridor with the golden tones. I was lucky enough to actually hang out behind the tarp in a construction hat when the statues and grand arches were being restored. It was a great visit. I don’t miss the work but I did enjoy the commute from our house that was just two blocks away. Working at the library was a great experience - more for the surroundings than the work itself! 




























No comments:

Post a Comment