Tuesday, May 10, 2022

A Tribute to My Cousin

I’ve always had a high regard for our first cousin - because she was the FIRST cousin out of sixteen on my mom’s side. She was the flower girl in my mom’s youngest sister’s wedding. I must have been about three years old. Although we moved away from New England when I was six, somehow she remained a role model of sorts. And she looked so stylish when she went off to college at Northeastern and Tufts - majoring in biology and genetics when that wasn’t a common path back then. When they had their first and only baby they drove up for a visit. She was the first family member to meet my husband. We met her and her husband in Chicago. We saw her at family events - weddings. She helped me plan my mom and dad’s surprise 50th wedding anniversary. She was the go to person for all family related questions and the city where we all came from. She stopped in for a visit when we lived in DC. She was always so kind to my mom in the later years - calling her, sending cards and presents. The last time we met in person was at my mom’s funeral over two years ago. Then the pandemic came and she started the couzin zoom monthly gatherings. Then she said she needed to have a CT scan, then surgery, then chemotherapy. A week ago today she passed away unexpectedly at home - perhaps from a pulmonary embolism. I had just received an email from her that afternoon. I’m so glad we had a change to chat last month - the longest ever. She didn’t want to talk about her illness. We are all in shock that she is gone. I suppose nothing should be a shock these days. So I just want to pay tribute to her wonderful life and we are so sorry that she is gone. 




No comments:

Post a Comment