Saturday, July 8, 2023

New England House Architecture

Toto - we aren’t in Kansas anymore! Well, we weren’t exactly in Kansas, but the general architecture reminded us that we were no longer in northern Virginia. We went for a whirlwind road trip to New England a couple weeks ago. It was primarily for a memorial service for our oldest cousin who unexpectedly passed away last year. Due to the pandemic the family decided to have a sort of picnic celebration rather than a traditional funeral. So we had an opportunity to check out old and new places alike, including the family home of my mom’s favorite sister. There is something so very familiar about the homes and the architectural features. Though my family only actually lived in New England until I was in second grade, my parents both came from the same small town. We did visit New aengland a few times as we were growing up and these are the memories that remind me of another time. It’s also been about twenty five years since we last were there. And that time was for a surprise fiftieth wedding anniversary celebration for my parents. So many people have come and gone since then! The large homes near the pond were quite stylish - many are now converted to condos. The three decker houses remind me of our own childhood home. We lived with my grandparents and my mom’s sisters family for a few years in one of those structures. Along the coast are sea going whimsical offerings. The parking is almost worse than Capitol Hill in some of the neighborhoods - which is hard to believe. It was a very short and memorable trip. We need to do it more often. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment