Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Layering Option in Photography

I belong to a weekly photo challenge. Lately some of the entries I have been submitting are composite images. That means it is not just a single photo, but elements from more than one to several photos all combined to create a new image. I rather like the idea of being more creative that way. A friend of ours was asking about the methodology and I was more than willing to help. He was using the Snapseed app; I use the Procreate app. I don’t think it matters because the concept is the same. After talking about it on the phone a bit he sent a successful sample and asked for comments. The image turned out really well and I am looking forward to seeing his submissions in the future using this technique. So I had a bit of fun with it and sent him back a couple of ideas. One was to make the subject look like it should actually be in the photograph. In this case it was his son who was originally sitting on the kitchen floor. I put him on the steps in Old Town Alexandria and also on the fishing dock in Needham Massachusetts. The second option is to have fun with the subject and make sure whatever background is selected compliments the subject - not overwhelm it. Then you can use transparencies and all other sorts of fun things. I suppose I enjoy being creative beyond taking a single photo. I’m not really a photographer - I just enjoy taking pictures. But adding these types of effects makes it all the more interesting. 











No comments:

Post a Comment