Saturday, October 21, 2023

Jury Duty Revisited

Last week I was on a criminal case jury for domestic violence, assault and battery, and rape. There were five counts that required deliberation. In the end a twice convicted felon was found not guilty because there was insufficient evidence. We knew he did it, but there was nothing we could grab on to beyond a reasonable doubt. I have been thinking about this case and process a lot since then. Though it was an interesting process, it really affected me in a negative way. Some of the people on the jury did not stop talking from the minute we sat together in the small locked jury room. They expressed opinions that should not have been expressed starting on the first day. I took copious notes and didn’t say anything about the victim or defendant until deliberations started on the last day. I raised several items that others had overlooked because they had already made up their minds. There were eight men and four women. Two alternates were women but they were released on the last day. I think having more men made a difference - and their perspective on the details - or lack of details - was disturbing. And for the first time my Apple Watch sent a signal that my resting heart rate rose above 120! And upon review my resting heart rate for the entire week on jury duty was ten points higher than an average week - from 60 to 70. Obviously I was dealing with more stress than usual, was having difficulty sleeping, and my routine was turned upside down. It was mentally and physically exhausting. Now I know why people over seventy are excused from jury duty in Virginia. I didn’t write down names of the victims, accused, lawyers, etc to google later. I didn’t want to think about it any more. The most disgusting thing is that this guy is back out on the street. What a waste of time. I still clearly remember the faces of all the jurors and remain disheartened by the whole thing. 








No comments:

Post a Comment