Sunday, April 17, 2011

Use Your Imagination

We took a ride on the George Washington Parkway to northern Virginia. We passed by Mount Vernon, Woodlawn, and Gunston Hall to Mason Neck Park. I was sure we would see at least one eagle along the way. The eagle nest right outside Alexandria still stands, but no eagle was to be found. Right before we entered the Park, I did see one flying high above us, but was not quick enough to get his picture. Once we were on the waterfront, all we found were some blue headed birds who were very eager for a photo. The literature said that there are red fox, black bear, blue heron... we saw a few squirrels. We have been to this Park at least 4-5 times and have always come up empty-handed. Riding in the other direction on Friday along the GW Parkway, I did actually see an eagle flying along the Potomac River. The traffic was so snarled that we had time to look around. But, I have nothing to prove it. We had a lot more wildlife in our backyard up North.... deer, possum, skunks, hawks, crows, and every kind of bird. I saw a pair of cardinals by our front window last week. At least it was a beautiful day for a drive. My husband told me I owe him $4.00 for the privilege of getting in to the Park.
There are several eagle nests along the GW Parkway
We have never seen an eagle at Mason Neck Park!
It doesn't matter what time of the year
These guys were happy to pose
An eagle replacement photo
Not a good place to build a nest

No comments:

Post a Comment