Friday, January 25, 2019

Ancestry DNA Kit and Family Tree

Quite some time ago I was searching for information about my grandparents. It was when Ellis Island was being restored and we made a small contribution. All four of my grandparents came through there in the early 1900’s and I found some interesting items about three of them from the manifest documents. Unfortunately I can’t find my notes that included the maiden names. We even visited Ellis Island in New York when the project was completed. It was very inspiring. Lately I have been bitten by the DNA bug curious to know more about my ethnicity. People have oftentimes asked me if I was from China but I am supposed to be Polish/Ukrainian. So I searched to find out about the best DNA kits out there. I finally bit the bullet and bought an Ancestry DNA kit that is supposed to arrive in about ten days. Of course everyone on earth probably got one as a Christmas present so everything is really backed up now. Great timing! In the mean time I started to work up a family tree but can only go so far without my grandmothers maiden names. I’ll wait until I get the DNA results to subscribe to a free two week trial and search a little more. It is interesting to look at 1940 and earlier census records, applications for social security, death records, etc. The spelling of my father’s father’s last name was changed when he arrived which makes it more difficult to nail down. But he is listed as a “painter” in 1927 and as a “musician” in 1930. Maybe I will learn something that I don’t already know. My siblings used to kid around that I was adopted. This may put an end to that notion. Or will it?














No comments:

Post a Comment