Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Indignity of Standing in Line

Some lines are unavoidable. The motor vehicle department comes to mind. Disneyworld is another. And at this time of the year the entrances to the Smithsonian Museums. I'm talking about the kinds of lines you stand in, not the car lines that are typically backed up around here. I do whatever I can to avoid them, including seasonal visits and checking wait times. But there is one I can't seem to get out of even though I try very hard. It is particularly disgusting in the pouring rain - like this morning. Whenever my walk to work coincides with the metro train letting out at Capitol South I can depend on a long line at the entrance to the Library. It was backed out past the front doors after a double line inside. Luckily we could at least stand under the barrier/canopy. I never had to wait in line to get to work anywhere else before moving here. It's just another (in)convenience of living in the Capitol City and it makes the airport baggage check feel like nothing. At least there you are typically happy to get inside. 



No comments:

Post a Comment