Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Turkey Bird in Alexandria

Whenever we travel along the George Washington Parkway I am always on the lookout for eagles. We used to see them quite regularly when we first moved here. Recently we were headed to Alexandria and traffic was slightly congested. Without warning the car in front of us slammed on the breaks. Usually I have my phone in hand to snap pictures because you never know what you are going to run in to around here. Unfortunately I did not this time. A huge walking - or should I say running - bird appeared out of nowhere in front of us crossing the very busy street. We weren't sure what it was, so I'm posting a photo by Ahmad Saib of what we thought we saw. There is a lot of wooded area just past Ronald Reagan Airport. There are always ducks and geese flapping about in the rain made puddles. But this thing was nothing like that. We are thinking it was a turkey bird, not a turkey buzzard. She certainly took a big chance, and did make it to the other side. I hope her family appreciated the risk she took! What good are those wings if you can't use them?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment