Monday, November 24, 2014

A Text Message From Milwaukee

The other day I received an unexpected text message from someone in Milwaukee. I used to work at the same place as this person, and he is someone that I continue to see when we visit Wisconsin. In fact, I saw him in July when we traveled there for our annual trip. Because we lived in the Midwest for thirty years, there are several special folks we make sure we see. So whenever I hear from him, the conversation starts at the same place it ended. He travels to Pittsburg regularly but can never seem to find the time or have the inclination to travel another few miles to the nation's Capitol. As it was, he was at Reagan Airport waiting to switch planes on his way to Pittsburg. I was impressed he was actually in town, but of course I berated him for not letting me know sooner - even though it would not have made any difference. The one thing I remember most about him was that he would impersonate John Wayne's walk, and try to talk like him. But even more, he always had a very pleasant demeanor about him. But don't let him know I think that. I do miss some of the characters I knew when we lived there. But I am also glad that he remembers to send a note here and there. It brings a smile to my face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment