Friday, November 28, 2014

Why New Jersey?

As a kid taking summer vacations in our family car, I remember a couple things. My brother punched out both my front teeth, and I threw his favorite baseball hat out the window. The other more routine activity was to check out all the license plates. What state was seen the most? What color were they? Where do you think they were going? Based on the direction the card was were heading, you could at least figure out if they were coming or going home. When we drove to Florida in August, we noticed a lot of New Jersey license plates. But here in DC, aside from Virginia and Maryland, it seems like New Jersey still takes the prize. I only captured a few of the license plates as we passed them ... on the freeway crossing over to Virginia, along the GW Parkway, in and around our neighborhood - and just today, there were at least five cars from New Jersey parked along Independence Avenue within just two or three blocks. License plates provide an identity whether you like it or not. In fact, our daughter in law was lamenting that she was feeling bad about having to change her license plate to Virginia since they just moved there from DC. She waited until the last day. I've driven cars with Florida, Wisconsin, and now DC license plates - my parents drove with Massachusetts and Connecticut license plates. When I ask why would there be so many from New Jersey here, the answer is typically would you want to be there? I'm not sure that's the best answer, but maybe it's a reasonable one. There is something about New Jersey and maybe that's all there is to it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment