Thursday, May 5, 2016

Eisenhower Farm in Gettysburg

The scary thing is that things all looked very familiar. Aside from the fact that it is still miserable, dreary, and raining outside - like it was a week ago and hasn't stopped - the contents of the house seemed like I could have lived there at one time. And so it was at the Eisenhower farm in Gettysburg. Our out of town guests from Milwaukee gave us reason to visit the battlefield and the farm which is only an hour and a half drive away from DC. We have never been to Gettysburg when it was cold... it was usually in the hot summer. The first visit was around 1960 when my family was traveling from New England to Florida. And there were many visits in between then and now. But I never saw the Eisenhower farm. Inside, the decor was left as it was in the 1950-60's flavor - including the turquoise and pink bathroom tiles. Our house in Milwaukee also had the same colors, as the house was also built in the 50's. Usually when we see "historical" places, I can't associate with the contents. So this visit was odd for me. I knew the name and the legacy, and the clothes, curtains, and furniture reminded me of my childhood. The farm is still a working angus ranch and we walked to the barns to see the calves. Along the way were old tractors and jeeps, and everything "Ike." I can see why he might like being away from the business of Washington and spend time in such a desolate place. But neither my husband nor I could stand it - especially in the middle of the night - in the middle of the infamous civil war battleground. Too spooky for my blood. It was well worth the visit, but weird all the same. 














No comments:

Post a Comment