Thursday, July 12, 2018

Renwick Gallery No Spectators: The Art of Burning Man

We once went to a movie called Baron Munchhausen. It was so awful we left almost as soon as it started. All I can say is that it was just weird. My husband and I felt the same way when we entered the Renwick Gallery yesterday. The gallery is located across the street from the White House and was one of our stops on our “tourist” excursion after having breakfast at Old Ebbitt Grill. Regardless of the history and purpose of this exhibit, neither one of us could get past the sheer “gaudiness” and weirdness about it - but maybe that was the point. It’s difficult to explain but we couldn’t wait to get out. I suppose if that’s a reaction to “art” it indeed told a story. Everything about it was extremely unpleasant to my eye. And usually I can find something I like in either color, form, or sound. The sad thing is that I have wanted to visit the Renwick for quite some time and will feel hard pressed to return. When we left - or should I say - escaped the gallery, the exhibit extended to the outside where we saw another “sculpture” on our way to the metro stop. We had more fun sitting by a stop light watching the passers by. My husband said it best - at least we didn’t have to pay to get in. 



















































No comments:

Post a Comment