Friday, March 22, 2024

We Will Miss You Stumpy!

The first photo I can find of Stumpy - the “little tree that could” - is from 2018. He has now become famous because the park service will be cutting him down for tidal basin improvements that will begin soon. We have been visiting the tidal Basin for the last seventeen years, and also before we moved to Capitol Hill. This little tree is so scrawny you might not even notice. He sits just beyond the Jefferson Memorial. But there, the waters oftentimes flood the area and it has taken a toll on the trees. Every time we meandered that way on our morning walks I would take some photos - long before knowing his fate. And I’m so glad I did! Luckily I have Stumpy in each season from almost the same vantage point with the Washington Memorial in the background. Unfortunately both my husband and I tested positive for Covid last week for the first time and are so disappointed that we can’t walk about like we always do. We are hoping that we will still have a chance to visit after the cherry blossom festival and before the tree destruction. It makes us feel so sad to see him go. But at least we have good memories of this little tree. I’m so glad I noticed him long before the hoopla. Stumpy deserves to be remembered. 




































No comments:

Post a Comment