Saturday, June 9, 2018

Quince Jam

I never heard of quince until my husband introduced me to it. It looks sort of like an apple, but tastes like a splintered piece of wood. But my husband loves it so much so that he makes jelly/jam out of it. Last weekend we came across some quince at the Wegman’s on our way home from Lynchburg. So he had his sights set on making one of his favorite concoctions this week. Yesterday was the day. He started by cutting the very hard fruit in to tiny pieces, then dumping it in to the pan along with vanilla, sugar, lemon juice and water. It simmered on the stove for quite a while. He had to keep his eye on the contents making sure there was enough water and sugar as it started to evaporate. I usually smell the vanilla drift throughout the house - a very pleasant smell but it wasn’t as obvious. It took about two hours to create the stuff. He then poured it all in to two containers where it now sits in the refrigerator. The tasting starts tomorrow with breakfast. I hope he likes it! 













No comments:

Post a Comment