Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Library of Congress Work Anniversary

August 7 marked what would have been my twelfth work anniversary at the Library of Congress. I remember my first day very well! We moved from Wisconsin to DC in July and I had taken three weeks off  in between my old health care job and this new Library of Congress position. I worked in health care for thirty years, so this was a huge transition at this point in my career! It started with a day of orientation with about twenty other newcomers, then a behind the scenes tour of the beautiful Jefferson Building, ending with a stop at my new office. I felt very alone because everything and everyone was unfamiliar. I had never worked in such an environment, but it was very interesting. Over time everything fell in to place and the opportunity lasted for ten years. The best part was the commute - two blocks from my house. I walked home for lunch. I was able to work part time - three days a week - for the last two years and retired in February 2016. I met a lot of nice folks, continue to go to programs of interest, and still participate in the employee art fair. I don’t miss working at all. But if you had asked me back in the day if I thought I would end up working at the Library, I would have been totally amazed at the idea. Now whenever we walk by the Library buildings it feels surreal. The time has passed so quickly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment