Sunday, September 8, 2019

Freer Sackler Hidden Garden

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2CutAnBi9G/

When we took the metro in from northern Virginia for the first time since we moved from Capitol Hill five months ago, we got off at Capitol South. It’s two blocks from our old neighborhood and very familiar to us. I can’t tell you how many times we walked in that area - at least four times a day for ten years when I worked at the library of Congress. Going home for lunch was a delight. So we headed to the Freer Sackler Gallery to see an Iranian photo exhibit. First we passed through the US Botanical Garden, the American Indian Museum, the Air and Space Museum, the Mall, the Hirshhorn Museum and Garden, the Smithsonian Castle - and then to the secret garden tucked away between the Freer and the Sackler Galleries. Most of it is in pots, which makes it all the more interesting. The most unusual flowers are planted in this space. My husband always tells me to take pictures of the names, but I’m more interested in just looking at them. I oftentimes use these images for digital birthday greetings. And wouldn’t you know I’ve been asked “what is that?”  We are very glad we can still visit the sites we really loved when we lived in DC. It’s just ten miles away. 































No comments:

Post a Comment