Friday, April 12, 2024

Elton John and Bernie Taupin Gershwin Prize

I worked at the Library of Congress for ten years. It’s the reason we moved to Capitol Hill from the Midwest. One of the great side benefits of working at such a unique place was the people you might happen to run in to. My husband and I had an opportunity to attend the Gershwin Prize concerts for Willie Nelson and Billy Joel. Neither of these artists are our favorites, but they needed to fill the auditorium at the DAR concert hall and I got two free lottery tickets. They were memorable events as there were many other famous artists attending to pay homage to the recipients. I retired several years ago now. But I wish I was still working just to attend the Elton John and Bernie Taupin event this year. Elton John is one of our favorite musicians. I remember hearing his first song in high school and then so many more after that, marking significant milestones in my life. So this week we watched the recorded performance of the Gershwin event. Both my husband and I were teary eyed and emotional just listening to the beautiful music performed by such wonderful artists. The venue was familiar and I felt like I was a part of it. When I look back on the fact that I actually worked at the library I am still amazed. And to this day every time we visit I can’t believe it. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment