Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Our View of the Eclipse

My seventh grade science fair project was about Venus. I took photos of the planet in an astronomy book with my Swinger camera and they became an instant hit. Where did you get those photos?! We also had a telescope when we were youngsters and took advantage of what it had to offer. My dad took photos of the moon landing all of those years ago. When we were in France we were so close to the Milky it was mesmerizing. But my husband isn’t in to any of this. He loves the physics of it all, but isn’t very impressed with the night sky or sunsets, etc.  So it wasn’t surprising that he wasn’t interested in the recent solar eclipse. We didn’t get glasses and didn’t plan on viewing it. But I was a little more curious. So without looking at the sun I aimed my iPhone at it and took a couple of photos. Since it was cloudy here there really wasn’t much to see - especially without the glasses. There were people standing on a sixth floor balcony across from us. We had been sitting on our balcony when it suddenly turned ten degrees cooler and the shadows became more opaque. I tuned the TV on just to see the drama for a little while, taking a photo or two just to document the event. I suppose this was a great diversion to change the subject for a while that day and the days leading up to the big event. And if nothing else, that’s the best reason to pay attention. 























No comments:

Post a Comment