Sunday, April 14, 2024

Who Irons Anymore?

I remember ironing all of those white shirts as part of a uniform in grade school and high school. Then there were the white nursing uniforms. Eventually I grew out of the ironing phase as fabrics changed - many of them requiring dry cleaning. We had a lovely laundry room in the Midwest. On Capitol Hill we had a table top ironing board because we lived in 500 square feet and had no space. We kept that ironing board when we moved to northern Virginia and I think I used it once - until yesterday when I decided it was time to wash all of the white blouses I have that have not been worn for years. My wardrobe changed big time during the pandemic, and before that  LLBean garb became the clothing of choice for morning walks. Since we haven’t been on any trips I haven’t bought any new clothes - which was one of the reasons to do so. As we start to resume some normal activities I thought it would be a good time to see what even fits anymore. So yesterday all of the white blouses and jackets were thrown in to the washing machine in bags on a delicate cycle. They air dried in the bathroom and then were ironed. What a pain in the neck is that! Then I tried them on and asked my husband to judge what should get tossed. It ended up one got tossed, one got a new button put on, and an assortment of other non white blouses were tried on to see if they were worth keeping. I used to love buying clothes for work and otherwise. Everything fit so much better then. Now I don’t care anymore. All I know is that if anything requires ironing now I am not interested. 














No comments:

Post a Comment