Friday, April 17, 2015

The John Adams Building - a Part of the Library of Congress

Through the tunnels from the Jefferson and Madison Buildings of the Library of Congress is the John Adams Building. I haven't been that way for a few years so I decided to take my afternoon walk in that direction. It opened in 1939 and has a very different vibe from the two other buildings I am more familiar with. I work in the Madison Building and frequent the Jefferson Building because that's where most of the great collections and presentations are hosted. There are reading rooms in the Adams, but the decor is quite interesting - a lot of marble, metal, and unique lighting. The office spaces look like the interior of a train and the views are spectacular on all sides. Having a window space is priceless and these are some of the best. There is also a small cafe but most folks seem to wander over to the main eating area on the Madison sixth floor that also has an impressive view - including our neighborhood. Although I didn't see them walking underground, the front doors just underwent a major restoration for egress and beautification purposes. I'll have to check them out next time. It's well worth a visit once in awhile and for me is only a simple walk in another direction. 









No comments:

Post a Comment