Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Face Masks - Cloth, Paper and Everything in Between

I used to wear them when I worked as A staff nurse for a patient in isolation, and as the nursing supervisor in the cath lab. It was a sterile environment and part of the garb that was required for a lot of reasons. My husband is a retired surgeon and wore them all the time. Now face masks are required just to walk outside. Since I don’t have a sewing machine or material I can’t make my own. Back in the day I used to make a lot of my cloths. My mom taught us how to see when she managed a fabric store. I don’t even own any scarves anymore thanks to downsizing 16 years ago. So I’ve put a couple of pieces together with shoe covers and rubber bands, and tried using a table linen napkin but they are too bulky. I assembled several more using number 4 and number 2 coffee filters, rubber bands, paper clips, staples, and tape. They actually feel the best and are a neutral tan color! I’ve also ordered a few more cloth options since I think we are going to be stuck with this “accessory” for quite some time - from Vida & Co, Caraa, and Denali. I just looked around the internet and they are each a little different. It seems that’s all the advertising is about these days. I’m not in to the fashion statements - just plain and simple. Disposables will be used more for inside the building for grocery picks and mail runs to the lobby at midnight. Yesterday I read that a stocking over the face mask would make the mask more “protective” - but how ridiculous would that look? All I know is whenever we watch TV there are many people wearing face masks - but their noses aren’t covered and they keep fiddling with them which defeats the purpose. I guess I’m just glad we are familiar with using them regardless of what type they are. We are still waiting for all of our cloth masks to be delivered. They are obviously in high demand. For now I have thE current supply all tucked away in a basket in the closet. Pretty soon they’ll move to the front of the house along with the gloves and sanitizers. 








No comments:

Post a Comment