Thursday, December 24, 2020

A Thoughtful Gesture, A Christmas Poem

Yesterday a large envelope arrived in the mail. The return address was from someone I knew at work before we moved to DC. I do recall she asked for my address soon after my mom passed away in February saying something about sending a note to remember her. Well, that is what arrived in the mail yesterday. Apparently someone had sent her a poem following her father’s death and the words brought comfort to a grieving daughter during the holiday season. It was a very thoughtful and kind gesture, especially since it was so unexpected. Enclosed was a hard copy of the poem with my mom’s photo - the same photo used in her obituary - and two additional copies to share with my brother and sister. I didn’t read it right away but waited for later in the day. I think about my mom every all the time and wonder how other people react to their loss. Everyone goes through it - which is one of the reasons that makes it tolerable. I don’t particularly care for holidays and this year it’s worse because we don’t have the routine diversions. But I really appreciate the kind gesture. Thanks Shirley. 






No comments:

Post a Comment