Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Remembering My Parents

We’ve done it every year. But this is the first time we did not travel to Florida for my birthday or for Christmas. Both happen to fall in December. It’s obvious why we wouldn’t travel this year, but there is another reason. My mom passed away in February and that was the last trip we took. She is buried next to my dad at Florida National Cemetery. Since both of my parents were Veterans, they each have their own place. Since we always drove home, we have stopped at the cemetery in Bushnell since 2015 to visit Dad, which is about 90 minutes from our house. Depending on the time of the year we put flowers or a Christmas wreath on the grave. Since we can’t be there this year we had a florist in the area lay a Christmas wreath between the grave stones and requested a photo. I’m not sure when we will ever go back to Florida. My sister is handling all the affairs and the house was given to the neighbors who took such good care of mom over the last many years. This is the first Christmas without both of my parents. It’s a very strange feeling since they were a part of my life for such a long time. I keep thinking everyone else goes through it. But it’s hard to move on especially since the usual diversions don't apply. I suppose life goes on whether we like it or not. But I couldn’t, or wouldn’t forget them. 






No comments:

Post a Comment