Friday, May 27, 2011

The Job Interview

It was five years ago today that I had my interview for the job I now have. We flew in from Milwaukee on Thursday before the Memorial Day weekend for a Friday afternoon interview. I had started looking for job opportunities the previous November. For a dream job, I wanted to find something near the tiny condo we had recently purchased, and started scanning options on USA Jobs and the Federal Building websites around us. It was a scary proposition to leave what I had been used to for 30 years in the health care profession. So, I had to think of the skills I had that could be translated in to a government job. I spent many hours searching and filling in very involved on-line applications. The first call came in February for a phone interview. The next call came to come for the formal interview. The final offer to hire call came in June. I had to give a month's notice. We moved in July and I started the new job in August. Ironically, I saw the interviewer yesterday and asked him if he remembered what happened five years ago. He thought it was the date I was hired. I reminded him it was the date we interviewed. When the interview was completed and I left the building, they called me back later that afternoon so I could meet the "real" boss. I went back, showed the Director my portfolio and exchanged a few words, and had a positive vibe about the adventure. My mother always said things are meant to be. This must have been one of those times.

Who would have thought? A Civil Servant after 30 years in health care...
And I can walk to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment