Sunday, December 1, 2019

Wall Art Update

They used to hang as three pieces together in our living room in Milwaukee. It was a group of Persian ethnic characters that looked good in the salmon colored silk Persian carpet surrounding. When we moved to DC thirteen years ago, the wall hangings were some of the few items we brought with us. Two of them landed above the TV/bookcase and the other above the wine cabinet. Since we stayed with a Persian motif, they looked okay. Our new condo in northern Virginia doesn’t have the same flair - it changed because the tribal carpet was much too large for the space, and the white walls and wood contrasted too sharply with the light and airy room and all the dark furniture. When we were in Milwaukee in September we met with our go to designer who literally redid our whole house when we lived in the Midwest. I’ve always liked working with Glenn from Ethan Allen and asked him if he could help us make some decisions for the key living room and den pieces. So now the ethnic artwork doesn’t really go along with the lighter and brighter room. I think what the wall needs is a large canvas painting of something that has the same color tones - green/blue to match the glass pieces and carpet. In the interim I dug our my digital art portraits of our beautiful Borzoi and the image of her that won The New Yorker Eustace Tilly contest. The mats and frames are much too small, but the room seems a bit more updated - and when I look at them I am reminded of a wonderful family pet. On the opposite wall a portrait of my family hangs - a sketch of a Connecticut outing so many years ago at Mystic Seaport. My husband thinks I can come up with something to replace what’s there temporarily, but I’m not so sure. What I’m looking for is something quirky, light, and personal. When the living room couch and accent chair arrive this month and the sleeper sofa finds itself in the den where it belongs, maybe I’ll get some inspiration. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment