Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Poor Things?

Last week there was a tree in the neighborhood in full bloom one day, followed the next day by the same tree in bloom with snow surrounding it. For the most part, the winter has been quite mild this year, for which I am forever grateful. Mild winters here were a good reason we left Milwaukee after thirty years of winter all year 'round. (Although we NEVER had 2 feet of snow within one week!) In my little garden that faces the south, it gets sun for a good chunk of the day, and the bulbs have already started to emerge. I just hope that they can withstand whatever winter that is left has to bring. But I need an opportunity to edit the space as soon as the real spring arrives. Last year I was so eager to plant my Monticello seeds, but none of them tolerated the very cool spring of last year. This year we saved some seeds from a really pretty flowering plant that neither of us remembers the name. Maybe we'll have better luck this time?
The hydrangeas are budding and the bulbs are popping up

Let's hope that they can stand whatever comes next

The African Violet never looked so good!

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, Lois...I hope these little fledglings don't get their nubs frozen off...can't believe the continued unseasonable weather you're having--
    I really like that purple door water color (isn't it?) beneath your profile--

    ReplyDelete