Monday, March 5, 2012

An Autograph Request

One of my colleague's suggested that an article be written in the Library's Gazette about the New Yorker Eustace Tilley Contest win, and the StoryChimes children's books. And so it happened, and it appeared last Friday in the Q&A section. I have received so many kind and positive comments about the article. This afternoon as I was working on a spreadsheet that was not cooperating, a young man knocked on my door. He said he read the article this weekend, and was hoping that he could get an autograph. I was flabbergasted and shocked. He is the father of a five year old and expressed a desire to write. The only thing I could think to tell him was that I probably could not have written any of these stories when I was his age. The stories are all based on real life experiences- and for some reason, makes the telling of the tale so much easier. But if it comes from the heart, and pulls at the strings- he may just have a winning idea in mind. In the end, he said he was going to frame it. You can only imagine how much he made my day- and it was completely unexpected.
From the Library of Congress Gazette
A unexpected surprise

No comments:

Post a Comment