Thursday, September 7, 2023

A Dental Crown Replacement

I am no stranger to the dentist. In fact, with any new dentist they actually say the same thing. Aside from having experimental TMJ surgery in 1982, I have had several fillings and crowns. And for someone who is extremely aware of their sensory environment it is oftentimes a painful experience. Because of the TMJ surgery it is difficult to open my mouth for sustained periods of time. I oftentimes take prophylactic aspirin to reduce the discomfort. Even with flossing, water pick and electric toothbrush regular and routine use, my last six months check revealed a cavity and the need for a crown replacement on the last tooth on the upper right side. It’s been over four years since I needed any extensive dental work, so it was due. I have also been babying that side for a few years and it’s been a source of food getting stuck between the teeth because of the gap. So between cataract surgeries I needed to have a poorly constructed crown removed and replaced. I’ll take whatever lidocaine they can give me. At least now there is also a rubber brace that is inserted to keep your mouth open while suctioning at the same time. Unfortunately the assistant was new and/or learning and a few more impressions were required than usual with the help of a senior member who walked her through the routine. I’m not a good patient to practice on - my husband is much better suited. I couldn’t wait for it to be over and the permanent crown is scheduled for the day before my second cataract surgery next week. In the end I’m happy to have it over with - even though it felt like a dump truck was running through my head with the drills. I’m just thankful that we can afford the work - even though we still pay a huge sum out of pocket in spite of two dental insurances. It’s been an expensive health care journey last month and this month. How do people afford these things? Among hearing aids from two years ago, cataract surgeries this and last month, and crowns it feels claustrophobic. These are small reminders to be thankful for all the good things going on in your life. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that my husband doesn’t need any more teeth implants. That’s another story. 




No comments:

Post a Comment