Friday, September 15, 2023

Cataract Surgery Number Two

This was a very busy week. My husband had a dental appointment on Monday, I had a temporary crown made permanent on Tuesday, then on Wednesday we needed to get up at 5:30 AM so we could get to the surgery center in Reston by 6:30 for my second cataract surgery scheduled for 8:00. Yesterday was an office visit for a post op check, and today we will be going for Covid vaccines outside of the neighborhood because our CVS doesn’t seem to have any yet. I don’t care for this much activity in one week! The second eye surgery went well - probably because I was just there three weeks ago and knew what to expect. But it wasn’t as mesmerizing as the first. I could hear a lot of conversation in the room during the laser part and they only needed to insert the eye piece once instead of twice. The room was also brighter with lights on instead of dark. The staff were all very nice and even the IV was less painful this time. All I know is that I slept most of the afternoon and had no difficulty sleeping during the night keeping the eye shield on and maintaining a sixty degree angle propped up on pillows - the routine for the next week. The hardest part is remembering not to bend over and to keep taking the eye drops. Now that I have bionic eyes my brain needs to get acclimated to them. Things are still a bit discombobulated - and for the first time in my life I can no longer see up close - but for the first time since I was sixteen I will hopefully be able to see crystal clear when all of the dust settles. It’s supposed to take a couple of weeks to a few months for the lenses to settle in. So I am slowly adjusting to my new visual world and it is the opposite that it has been for so many years. I need to give myself some time. But now I can wear non prescription sunglasses and watch TV without glasses. It’s a brave new world. 








No comments:

Post a Comment