Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Cutting Prescription Pills

I’ve been taking prescription pills for many years. One in particular is a diuretic to help control hypertension, along with two other medications. The diuretic has always been a capsule. That makes it a lot easier to swallow - and that makes a big difference when you have a lot of pills to take and I usually take pills with orange juice. Taking them with water makes me gag! I used to think it was awful when my mom and dad would come and visit and they would have a large ziploc bag filled with prescription drugs. Now I’m doing the same thing. Anyway, the diuretic that was recently delivered was no longer a capsule. It was a weird sized thick pill. If I didn’t read the label I would not have thought that the dose called for half of the pill. That meant I would need to cut it in half which really feels like ancient history. I also have a thyroxin pill that needs to be cut in half for the extra dose one time per week. But that pill is a lot thinner and can be broken with my fingers. So rather than cut the diuretic every time I need to take it I decided to just cut them all up at one time. What a mess - they don’t cut clean and the butter knife I was using to do the job wasn’t exactly sharp. This is what happens when you get generics rather than the official medication. I don’t like it. And it’s not easy to swallow with that sharp edge! 










No comments:

Post a Comment