Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Procreate and Persian Prints

I started painting using my iPad back in 2010. The stylus was my paintbrush, the iPad was the canvas, and Sketchbook Pro was my app. I always loved to paint since kindergarten - first crayons - then pastels, watercolors, pen and ink, charcoal. But I put all of that aside and studied a subject in college that I could find a job - nursing. It was a very rewarding career and it took me in to interesting places - even the Library of Congress. So my art interest was reignited when the iPad came around. The app was self taught, and it worked very well for me for several years. But then the original app was no longer updated when the operating systems were and the new app seemed harder to get a handle on. So after putting it off for awhile, and doing my usual considerable research, I decided to get the latest iPad Pro and Apple Pencil in the spring. But it also meant learning a new app called Procreate. It took awhile, but after many days and weeks of reading and relearning brushes and palettes and processes, I finally became comfortable enough with the app, but still don’t use half of its capabilities. It stated with doodles and getting familiar with the program, and a custom pet portrait of our new “grand pup.” Then I received a custom order for a pet portrait and dove in. It turned out really well - more watercolor than not. So I liked the end result even more that before, and the canvas size of the bigger iPad made it feel even more like painting. Rather than rely on layers, I was actually painting. So I thought I’d try a different subject matter. Using photographs from our trip to Iran from almost ten years ago, I painted several Persian subjects that were fun and whimsical to create. It was a great experience and kept me busy throughout the summer. Now it’s getting closer to the holidays and the custom pet portrait orders are starting to come in. I’m really glad I finally took the plunge and learned the new app without being rushed or under pressure. I still have my old iPad and old app available in case I need them. I can’t believe I used that tiny screen to paint all the portraits I did! Regardless, it’s a great way to continue working on a hobby I have always loved. And I don’t have to deal with all the mess of real paint and watercolor. Plus my studio comes with me wherever I go. 

































No comments:

Post a Comment