Sunday, March 19, 2023

Too Many Glasses

My husband had cataract surgery in February and March of 2020 - just before the pandemic was proclaimed. I remember the outpatient center, located at the hospital, was taking precautions back then, but nothing had been official. The lenses used were not the standard kind and were much more expensive. One lens was for seeing far while the other was for seeing closer. We thought that would mean there would be no need for readers. Well we were wrong. My husband can drive and pretty much do everything with his eye lenses. But he can’t read without glasses. So over the last three years he has accumulated quite an assortment of readers. The first pair was from the CVS. But they were half glasses. Then we tried full frames with only reader lenses and didn’t like having to take them on and off when looking up. Then I found some on Amazon that were full lenses, and the top half was plain and the bottom was readers. They were frameless and looked more like what he always wore. But the material was so fragile they would break easily if they were folded. Today in the car I found another pair. There are so many pairs all over the place it makes me wonder what was the point. If and when I need to have cataract surgery I think I will go with the routine lenses and keep wearing glasses. I used to wear contacts but my eyes were so dry I stopped over twenty years ago - with the promise that I would get new glasses every few years. Well now it’s been well over that and my prescription has changed again. At least I only have one pair of glasses to watch out for. But the difference is I can’t see anything without them - near or far. I’m not sure which one is worse. 








No comments:

Post a Comment