Saturday, August 26, 2023

Cataract Surgery

I’ve been dreading it since the end of July when I learned I would probably need cataract surgery. So without thinking much about it we scheduled it for yesterday and then again in two and a half weeks. Even though I am a nurse it makes me really anxious to have anything done and this was no exception - although I know this will make things so much better. I’d been taking the three drops a day, completed all of the on line paperwork, and we got to the outpatient center in plenty of time. There was more paperwork there and then the fun began. My husband had his cataracts done in February/March 2020 - just before the pandemic. So I was familiar with the routine. We ended up with a preop nurse who was from Iran but trained in Sweden. She was very good. You don’t even have to undress anymore - you just cover your hair, put the hospital gown over your clothes, and the booties over your shoes. I kept one hearing aid in so I could at least be somewhat aware to answer questions and follow directions. They cover you in warm blankets and start the IV - the worst part. I just remember watching cataract surgery in nursing school and it seemed so gross - they put a drape over you except for a hole over the eye. Things have changed there too. The doctor we have is exceptionally confident which makes me feel better and he stopped in to say hi. Then they roll you in to the laser room first. I don’t remember getting the versed but I do remember them sticking the plastic piece in my eye to keep it open. I had glaucoma surgery first, then they rolled me in to the OR for the extraction and lens implant. I could sense the liquid pouring over my eye and also the pressure when the lens was implanted. All the while the light and the colors almost looked impressionistic and actually pretty. I was surprised. Then you get rolled in to recovery room and get discharge instructions. From there we drove over to the office for a post op check. Usually it’s done the day after but since it was a Friday we had no choice. When we got home we ate a bit of lunch and I crashed on the couch for four hours. I’m
So glad my husband is around to share these experiences and  provide emotional support. I slept really well even at a thirty degree angle. So now the drips continue and will start up for the other eye in two weeks. I know it will all be worth it. Just getting through it all is the hard part. 








No comments:

Post a Comment