Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Stormy Skies

I didn’t like Florida because of hurricanes and water spouts. I didn’t like the Midwest because of snow, ice and blizzards. We left New England when I was six to get relief from icicles and snow. For whatever reason I always thought the eastern seaboard/mid Atlantic area would be a great place to live. Since we moved to DC a seventeen years ago there have been all of the above weather events including an earthquake! I even have three different umbrellas based on the type of rain that is falling. We have actually been luckier than most this year weather wise, but the threat of severe storms and tornadoes is more common that I would prefer. This week we had two significant events - so much so that the federal government employees were sent home early to avoid the chaos. We now live in a condo in northern Virginia and have a balcony that faces west. So we literally see the storms approaching.  I’m not the one who loves lightening and thunder either. But I do have to admit that some of the most interesting views come after the storm. The most recent event ended up turning in to a most unusual night sky that was hypnotically yellow as the sun was finally setting. I wish the weather didn’t have such an impact on me and any plans to do things around it. Maybe it’s better to be ignorant about what’s going on around you - but that’s never going to happen. 














No comments:

Post a Comment