Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Orville Redenbacher Unsalted Unbuttered Popcorn

I love popcorn. But it was not good to me. Long ago I bit down on a kernel and it did the job on my jaw. After a while I had to have bilateral TMJ surgery because I could hardly open my mouth and had constant headaches. That was over forty years ago. I’ve had to wear a night splint ever since. But I still love popcorn. But if I ever ate it I was extremely careful not to bite down very hard. Well, it’s been over four years since we made popcorn. I’m trying to lose a few pounds to keep blood sugar and cholesterol levels managed, though I think it’s a lost cause. So the amount of bread has been reduced along with overall smaller portions. It’s not easy for someone who has been lucky enough to eat almost anything. So plain unbuttered and unsalted popcorn is an option. We haven’t bought plain popcorn for centuries, but yesterday we got Orville Redenbacher’s plain popcorn. And to make the popcorn on the stovetop is something I haven’t done since I was living with my parents as a youngster. Last night I got out the pot and cover, added one tablespoon of olive oil and three tablespoons of popcorn and set the stove to medium heat. It brought back a lot of memories! And as we were eating the very plain unbuttered and unsalted popcorn - that I ate very carefully - it reminded me of going to the movies and having popcorn. I’m not crazy about the idea of having to go through all of that fuss when the microwave bags were so much easier. But when you have to have unbuttered unsalted popcorn, it’s about the only option. And for that it might be worth it. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment